Tuesday, July 5, 2011

House Rules

by Jodi Picoult













Jodi Picoult was the first author I gravitated to when I was looking for "real" authors to read. I was out of the Young Adult section and a long time out of Junior Fiction and was looking for "real" fiction to read. To be honest, I don't remember which of her novels I read first, but I read a lot: "My Sister's Keeper," "Keeping Faith," "The Pact," "Vanishing Acts," and "Plain Truth." Then I decided I needed to take a break; that and I read the first line of "Nineteen Minutes" and decided I just couldn't read it. So "House Rules" is the first Picoult book I've picked up in a few years. A woman came into the library and recommended it to me.

I really enjoyed this book. It's suspenseful. I think Picoult has great timing and pacing. However, I also think her novels are very formulaic, and so I really need to space out my reading of them. That being said, her novels still feel unique and authentic. She tackles some hard issues in a very intimate and very well-researched way. I like that she tells the story through multiple characters' perspectives.

I think autism and Aspberger's especially is fascinating, and this book is somewhat eye-opening. Jacob is a very complex boy. I loved his humor and his frankness. And God bless his mother, Emma.

This book made me realize I've probably watched one too many episodes of CSI (ironic) because I figured out early on what happened to Jess. But the ending still warmed and broke my heart. Jacob is just so wonderful, there are no words.

On a side note, I do not like this cover. I know that's a trivial thing, but I don't like it. It has nothing to do with the book or its themes. All it shows is a boy, too young to be Jacob or Theo, playing by himself. It's no good. No, I can't think of what would be more fitting off the top of my head, but I'm sure they could have found something better.

I think Jodi Picoult is an extremely accessible author, and I recommend her books to any young adults looking to read "real" fiction.

No comments: