Saturday, August 8, 2009

Julie & Julia

I don't make it a point to blog about movies, because that's not what I'm about. Don't get me wrong, I love movies. I'm all about escapism. Some of my top faves: "The Visitor," "Once," "The Live of David Gale," "Good Night and Good Luck," "Finding Neverland," and, of course, "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" and "Office Space," among others. Not current films, I know. I don't write about movies because I don't know enough about film to talk about them with any kind of authority. However, today, I will make an exception.

This afternoon I went to see the movie "Julie & Julia" and I loved it. Such a great story. I think there are very few, if any, people who can't relate. What person doesn't, at some point or other, feel stuck in a rut? There is a lot to be said for creative outlets. They nourish the soul. They're downright necessary to survival.

And talk about persistence. To cook over 520 (524? I think? 542? Maybe I'm dyslexic.) recipes in 365 days is a big undertaking. And to not quit after a major meltdown says a lot about a person's character.

But to spend 8 years of your life working on a book is astounding. That's one hell of a commitment. I don't know if I would have that in me. My attention span is considerably shorter than that. I think Julia Child's dedication and passion is admirable. And the belief she had in herself is inspiring.

I think Amy Adams is adorable. She's a lovely actress and a joy to watch on screen.

And there truly are no words for Meryl Streep. She is exquisite. Without a doubt one of the best actresses out there. She has the ability to immerse herself in a character which is unparalleled.

This movie makes me wish I had any kind of talent for cooking. The food they create looks so delicious, especially the bruschetta - and I don't even like tomatoes. I can bake well, but that's about it. Too bad I can't live off of cupcakes.

I am compelled to the read the book now. I think I'll add that to my list.

"Julie & Julia" is well worth the $7 or $10 you have to pay at the theaters. Go see it. It's adorable and funny and just a wonderful film.

No comments: