Sunday, August 2, 2009

Breaking Dawn

By Stephenie Meyer











My reading of Graham Swift's "Last Orders" was temporarily interrupted by a long anticipated arrival.

Monday afternoon a woman came into the library where I work. She came up to me at the desk and said, "You're Liz, right?"

"Yes," I said, wondering who this woman is and why she knows my name.

She held out to me the fourth and final book of the "Twilight" saga, "Breaking Dawn," and said, "I wanted to hand this to you in person. I know you've been waiting for it. You're going to love it."

I was so excited, I couldn't contain myself. I smiled and smiled and said, "I am so excited! You have no idea."

She said, "Yes I do. It's just a great as the others. Enjoy!"


I began writing this blog in pieces, gradually as I made my way through the book. The first draft started out with things like, 'I don't love this book as much as the others; I think I may be outgrowing the whole thing,' 'I still think Jacob's character is manipulative and rash,' 'I think it's ridiculous that Bella is pregnant, and to push the idea of the martyrdom of motherhood on top of that!,' etc. But I've thrown those thoughts to the way-side.

In this book, I have to admit, I warmed up to Jacob. I would still take Edward over him any day, but Jacob definitely grew up in this book, which is just what his character needed. And, as for Bella, I still think she is far too self-deprecating. She feels she is unworthy of the love she has received in her life. No one is unworthy of love (Ok, fine, it gets a little dicey regarding serial killers). However, once she became a vampire, her character drastically changed. Not nearly as self-deprecating or mopey. She finally became a character I could appreciate. I didn't find myself skipping over her internal reactions.

Even though I originally found Bella's being pregnant too far-fetched, - I realize the whole thing is fantasy - as soon as Jacob imprinted on Renesmee, I reneged that statement. What a great twist! Maybe other readers saw it coming from a mile away, but, I have to admit, I didn't see it coming at all. But how perfect! - Maybe a little too perfect though. A nice neat plot. No loose ends... Regardless, I was completely captivated by this book, even more so than the others, except, maybe, for the first book.

My biggest complaint about "Breaking Dawn" - and I use the term "big" relatively - is that it was too long. I felt that this last book could almost be split up in two; the second book being Bella's life as a vampire and the impending doom of the Volturi. There was too much down time in the preparation for the Volturi's arrival and it slowed things down. But, outside of that, I can think of no other complaints!

Beautifully and simply written, I greatly enjoyed the final "Twilight" book, "Breaking Dawn." And what a nice change to read a book with such a perfectly pure happy ending. I think the "Twilight" series is positively bewitching. I'm glad I read it, even if it did make me feel like an obsessed teenie-bopper. Worth it.

No comments: