Saturday, May 19, 2012

One Day

by David Nicholls













I cannot adequately express how wonderfully satisfying it is to be so thoroughly engrossed in a book. I mean, my reading for grad school has been engrossing, for sure, but reading for grad school is drastically different from reading for fun. I have to actively look for nuances and metaphors and allegory and deeper meaning, when sometimes, I just want to read and enjoy a book. No, I'm not spending my free time reading Plato, and I am perfectly happy with that. And this is such an enjoyable book.

Granted, it's a little cliched. A riff on the classic good girl pining after the bad boy. And yes, it is a little infuriating that when Dexter finally realizes how much he loves and needs and has depended on Emma, she drops everything, her potentially wonderful boyfriend in Paris, to finally fulfill her dream of being with Dex. Dex and Em. Em and Dex. But, feminist feelings and cliches aside, this is a really enjoyable book. Perfect of the nerdy girl hopeless romantic.

I really enjoy the format of this book, I think it was a smart move. Occasionally you may feel like, Oh really? Every important thing that happened to these two people happened on St. Swithin's day? Get over it. It's clever and it really works for this book; it moves the relationship along nicely.

This is a great, complicated love story to get wrapped up in. I haven't seen the film version, and I don't know that I will. All I know is that I think this book is absolutely worth reading. While I don't love the ending (not the trip to Scotland, the events leading up to that) and I do think the story is just a touch too long, it's a great love story to get caught up in.

No comments: