Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Color Purple

by Alice Walker













I've been slacking. Well, that's not exactly true. I started reading 1949 by Morgan Llywelyn. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize I had picked up the third book in a series of three. Typical. But I was committed, so I figured I'd keep reading. And then came moving day, and as 1949 was a library book, I had to give it up. Even worse, I had to make the decision which books would be moving with me and which would need a new home. Not an easy choice. So my book collection is now limited. But I did have enough sense to bring The Color Purple with me.

What I liked most about this book is the letter-writing format. It makes the book very personal. And truly, I think that's the only way the reader would have gotten to know anything about Celie because she started off so stony to the outside world, and understandably so.

The only letter I didn't enjoy was the one Nettie wrote to Celie about how Samuel and Corrine met. That one went on forever and was pretty dull actually. But other than that I don't have any complaints.

Although, I don't know how someone could have read this book and said, Hey, this would make a good movie. The book leaves so much that would have to be fleshed out. (I haven't seen the movie or the musical).

Truth be told I rushed though this book a little. I don't have strong feelings about it one way or another. Also I just picked up my copy of Llywelyn's 1916 and I'm eager to start it. So, really, for me this book was about killing time more than anything else. That isn't to say it's not a good book to read, I just, like I said, have little feeling one way or the other about it.

No comments: