Saturday, December 4, 2010

Eat Pray Love

directed by Ryan Murphy

I expected to like this movie a lot more than I liked the book, but as it turns out, I only liked this movie a little more than I liked the book.

The whole exposition is extremely rushed, which is understandable because otherwise the movie could be 4 hours long, but unenjoyable.

The build-up to Liz's break-down is too short, too sudden. There is not enough time to make her pain or despair believable or even relatable. I didn't care about her enough yet.

That "Permeable Membrane"  play as an explanation of Liz's behavior in relationships is nothing short of terrible. Which it's supposed to be, I realize. But I think it's inclusion is what is truly terrible. They should have found another way to include the Liz-being-absorbed speech.

Also, the husband is a completely petulant and miserable, and I think it's a little unfair. If her husband were truly that awful, she never would have married him in the first place. I can't understand why she would be hanging on to any feelings for him. Good riddance.

On the whole, the movie felt too rushed to make any kind of connection with. It's cute, it's funny, her affair in Bali is wonderful, but there's nothing particularly, aside from the scenery. great about this movie. See it, sure, but don't expect it to have any impact on your life.

No comments: