Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Christmas Carol

by Charles Dickens













I've been getting myself in the Christmas spirit. The tree is up and decorated, stockings are hung, presents are bought (though not yet wrapped...), and I thought it was about time I read "A Christmas Carol." I know the story as well as the next person, but I'd never read it before. And what better time than now?

I can say nothing negative about this story. It is a wonderful classic story. But that doesn't mean I like Dickens any more than before. He is too verbose. Period. And I know Dickens wrote in installments and was paid by the word. I know. I have been told this same tiresome fact since I was a small child. I know. But that does not excuse his style nor do I forgive him for it. I just don't enjoy reading Dickens. And yet, I do love this story.

"A Christmas Carol" has become a cliche and endured many permutations: "A Diva's Christmas Carol," Jim Carrey playing all the main characters, Scrooged (though admittedly I do like that one). But when you strip it bear and get right down to it, it is a truly great and creative story with a valuable lesson. You can't help but feel merry by the story's end.

However, this is still my favorite version:
"[...] for it is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas."

No comments: