Monday, November 1, 2010

Room

by Emma Donoghue













This book is like nothing I have ever read. It's suspenseful, intriguing, and completely addicting. This is the kind of book you want to call out sick from work so you can stay home and read it all day.

Seeing life through Jack's eyes was especially interesting, it made the story more emotional. On one level, reading Jack's words was like connecting with all my first experiences. You forget how scary the world must have been when you had to experience everything for the first time. Every step of the way I felt everything Jack felt: scared of Old Nick, scared when Ma was Gone and completely attached to Room, who becomes a character itself. When an 11ft x 11ft Room is all you know, how else could he react? But I was also terribly sad and pitied Jack because he knew nothing about Outside. No matter how Ma tries to tell him about the world she used to live in, he refuses to believe; and I felt for Ma. Jack's stubbornness would have made me crazy and made me feel even more hopeless.

There were parts of the book I found hard to believe, like Old Nick's driving away and leaving Jack, although Old Nick was a coward, so perhaps it does fit with his character. On the whole though, I was willing to go with it and experience it all right along with Jack. However I was somewhat dissatisfied with the ending. The last seen is wonderfully poignant, but I'm still worried for Jack's overall well-being.

This book is remarkable. It's an incredible and vivid story. Donoghue really makes you feel like you are living Jack's life, every step of his sometimes traumatizing ordeal. The book is truly beautiful and excellently written. I can understand why it's on the bestsellers list. Definitely pick this one up.

No comments: