Thursday, June 11, 2009

One of the Many














Well, it's official: I've been sucked into the Twilight phenomenon. I was sick yesterday and found myself with a lot of free time on my hands. I considered reading Mrs. Dalloway - I really love Virginia Wolf - or A Light in August - I equally love William Faulkner - but I was sick and tired and wasn't in the mood for either of them. On the floor next to my bed was the paperback copy of Twilight my sister-in-law had lent me a while a go. For months I refused to be one of the many reading the Stephenie Meyer series. I mean, vampires? How could a book about vampires, let alone teenage vampires, be any good? Besides, I am a college English major who reads Wolf and Faulkner and Cather; I don't read contemporary fad lit.

But I was sorely mistaken. I have fallen under the spell that is Edward Cullen. Twilight is a great book. Especially for the summer when I should give my brain a rest. It's a fast read and completely enthralling. The only problem with it's being a fast read is that I'm already halfway through the book; it's going by too fast. I am loving the book. I'm almost ashamed to admit it. But I shouldn't be, it's a good book. Millions of readers can't be wrong. And at this point in my life, I am more than willing to get lost in the world of teenage vampires. Edward Cullen is just too easy to fall in love with. Or I am just too willing to fall in love with him. Either way, I'm liking this relationship. I can pick him up when I get the urge to have him in my life, but I can also set him aside for hours when I've got other things to do. Convenient. 

I may make it my goal to read the whole series this summer. Doesn't sound like to tall a task. 

I can't believe how much I am enjoying this book. I feel like such a teeny-bopper.

No comments: