Monday, May 9, 2011

Bossypants

by Tina Fey













I have an infinite amount of respect for Tina Fey. She is one of the greatest female role models in the media today. I love that she has had so much success in the male-dominated comedy world, as a writer and actor. She is fearless, or at least manages to quell her fear enough to go for what she wants. And what makes her a great comedy writer and actor (and this goes for women like Amy Poehler and Kristen Wiig as well) is she isn't afraid to look foolish or goofy or downright unattractive at times. She makes comedy look as it should: FUN!

"Bossypants" is a great read. It's a little formulaic when it comes to famous people writing books: childhood stories, lists of positives and negatives, funny pearls of wisdom, commentary on her current situation in life. But "Bossypants" is well worth reading. There are times when I find a kindred spirit in Tina Fey.

Fey has some truly classic anticdotes (I particularly love the one about her first appointment to the gynocologist!). I think it's interesting to see where she came from and how she grew up. And she commits to her stories. She doesn't gloss over the awkward or unfortunate, she owns it.

The chapter "Dear Internet" is a very clear example of why Tina Fey kicks ass. And I'm not saying that because I am and she is a woman. If Craig Ferguson had to answer those kinds of idiotic emails, I'm sure I'd find his responses just as hilarious and awesome. Though, being a man, I doubt Ferguson would have as many sent to him. Fey's responses are snarky and biting and smart. I admire how she is so unapologetic and really owns who she is and what she does.
"Do your thing and don't care if they like it."

No comments: