Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bibliophiles Anonymous

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

My problem is that I have this habit of acquiring books, which I have every intention of reading, but before I have the chance to start reading the book or to really get involved in it, I get sidetracked by another book I want to read.

Months ago I bought the book "Dorian" by Will Self after falling in love with "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde. "Dorian" is an updated version of Wilde's novella. I just recently started reading it, feeling the need to finish it before I start any other book I want to read, i.e. "Keep the Aspidistra Flying" by George Orwell which I recently purchased or "The Andromeda Strain" by Michael Chrichton which is the next book discussion (from which I have been absent for quite a while) book. I've been struggling through the book. I don't like it. But I feel the need to finish it, because I bought it and I like books and I do not want to admit defeat. However, I think I really need to let "Dorian" go. I really wanted to like the book, but I'm not a fan. It's a little too perverse for me, but I also don't care for the writing. It's dry and difficult for me to get into. And there are some overly sarcastic, snarky authorial intrusions. I'm not absorbed in the story or the characters. I do want to see where this book goes, but I'm not sure I have it in me. Meanwhile, my list of books I want to read continues to grow, with little progress being made. But I hate having a partially-read novel hanging over my head: "Dorian," "My Antonia," "Luncheon of the Boating Party," "The Hobbit,' although, I officially gave up on "The Hobbit." I gave it four hearty tries and just lost interest. I think I can get through life without having read "The Hobbit." And, undoubtedly, I can get through life without having read "Dorian." I'll consider letting him go and moving on.

No comments: