Thursday, December 31, 2009

Grave Sight

by Charlaine Harris

So, after ignoring my blog for the entire semester (my last, by the way. I am now officially a college graduate - and terrified by the uncertainty that is my future...but that's another story.) I am back and reading for fun. Of course I read a lot during my semester, but didn't blog about any of it because all of my reading and writing was for my classes. Though I will say this: I heavily dislike the majority of Restoration English drama, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is brilliant (no great surprise there) and I adore The Dead from James Joyce's Dubliners (but I've known this for a while).

And now, as a recent graduate, I'm finding myself with a lot of time on my hands. So I'm back to blogging.

My latest read was Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris. I read this on the recommendation of one of the library patrons from the library I worked at this past summer. She originally told me I had to read the Sookie Stackhouse books, but I said I need a break from vampires. I am tired of our culture's fascination with vampires. Let it go already! So she said I should read the grave books instead. Since this patron is one of the nicest women I have ever encountered, I took her up on her suggestion.

I doubt I will continue with this series of books. I don't care for Harris's style of writing. Her book actually reads like a TV show, i.e. Harper is in the car and then she's standing in the cemetery, or she is at the front door, finds the key, and is then in the living room. Obviously I can fill in the blanks for myself, but I would much rather the author lead me there.

Plus, the book wasn't much of a mystery. As soon as Harper found out Teenie was pregnant and almost no one knew who her birth father was, I knew she and her boyfriend Dell were related. It's a common convention now. Boy meets girl, they fall in love, get pregnant unexpectedly (not always though, sometimes they're just deeply in love), boy turns out to be girls sister and lives a ruined.

This book isn't really worth reading. You could spend your time reading much better novels. It's not even a fun read or a beach read. It's just a waste of time.

No comments: