Monday, July 13, 2009

Eclipse















I thoroughly enjoyed Stephenie Meyer's "Eclipse." Although, Bella is extremely frustrating. When she becomes a vampire, her super power will be the ability to instantly depress everyone in a ten-mile radius of her. She refuses to ever be happy. What's that Bella? You're getting everything you've ever wanted? Well, sure, who wouldn't be miserable? I frequently censor her reactions to things like the man/vampire of her dreams wanting to marry her and pledge his love to her forever, and insert my own reactions. It makes for a better read, to be honest. Otherwise I get too caught up in thinking Bella is an idiot.
And she's a little slow on the up take too. It's like watching a suspense/detective movie, and you put the pieces together faster than the detective, and you're yelling at the TV because the answers are so obvious to you. That's how I feel about Bella.

Also, I can not stand Jacob Black. He's a manipulative punk. He made me absolutely furious in this book. I would like him to be out of the picture now, at least for a while. I did not enjoy the epilogue from his perspective; I don't need to be inside his head.

As for the writing though, I like Meyer's style. Her books have a good flow. I don't find myself getting tripped up on sentence structure or having to re-read passages to figure out what's going on. However, I do have to pace myself sometimes. When the action starts to get really good, I have to force myself to slow down and make sure I read everything so I don't miss anything. 

One more book in the series to go. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

No comments: